Wednesday, November 13, 2013

i love inspiring interviews

One interview I remember having a profound influence on me was in ELLE magazine, circa 2000. It was my sophomore year of college, and the interview was with Uma Thurman. She'd just had a baby, and so the interview had that filter about it- where so many aspects of a persona seem heightened or changed or attuned to the poetic nuances of motherhood. She was 27 at the time, and according to the interview, many thought she was young to be having a baby.

Something about that interview caught my attention. Something about what she said, and the mood of it, and the images produced by the writing, that moment in time... it must have wrenched my heart a little. I always pay more attention when my heart is in minor distress. I remember reading that interview and feeling strongly the importance of taking risks, forgetting what anybody else might have to say about my decisions, and answering to myself. In the interview Uma has this I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude, but it came across so gracefully. The author captured the free spirited power of new motherhood.

There's this part at the end where Uma talks about the decision to become a mother (as I recall). And she gives a metaphor of: the bus is going to show up, and you have a ticket in your hand, and sometimes you just have to get on the bus and go and never look back. You don't need prodding or pushing, you just get on and go. And I love that. I loved that back then in 2000. Take the chance.

No comments: